SparkyTiger is a twinkling independent design studio,
creating visual brands that make organisations, products and services stand out and become memorable
Dutch national police force - Logo & visual identity design. 1992.
The visual identity developed for the Dutch police force merges the spirit of two previously autonomous police organisations - namely, the state and municipal corps in a single logo. The flame symbol can be seen as a beacon, a protective flame. This is combined with a law book-like form and the word 'politie'.
The additional orange and blue striping system applied on all cars, boats and helicopters optimise visibility and safety at day and night time. The clients were the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Justice to the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The police identity won several design awards. In 2006 the Dutch police striping was selected by public vote as one of the 25 Dutch Design icons of the last 100 years. As senior designer with Gert Dumbar at Studio Dumbar.
Lowlands & Partners - Logo & visual identity design. 2016.
Lowlands & Partners is specialised in family wealth management with an exclusive and personal touch. They work with the best and premium partners around the globe. Legacy planning, asset management and lifestyle solutions. The founding partners of the company are European and Chinese. Their clients Chinese entrepreneurs looking for residence overseas with their family, businessmen wishing to diversify their assets to create an international portfolio. Also families wanting to protect their wealth for the next generation or who want to sent there children to the most prestigious boarding schools in Switzerland.
SparkyTiger designed the logo and visual brand for Lowlands & Partners. In collaboration with BSUR and WDK in Shanghai who are responsible for the naming and strategic positioning. As creative director of SparkyTiger.
Dutch Culture Centre - Logo & visual identity design. 2010.
The Dutch Culture Centre was an initiative of the Netherlands China Arts Foundation. It offered a diverse cultural program in down town Shanghai alongside ‘Happy street’, the Dutch pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo 2010. The program lasted for six months and was predominately focused on a Chinese audience.
The logo for the DCC shows the silhouette of the Culture Centre in white against colourful flowers, referring to the tulip as a typical Dutch icon and the magnolia, the symbol of the city of Shanghai. The communication was bilingual, both in Chinese and English. The festive style was applied on various graphic items and a website. As creative director with Rosanne Wong and the team of Studio Dumbar China.
Hewlett Packard campaign - Airports Milan and Rome. 2006.
For the Hewlett Packard head quarters in San Francisco the HP campaign was developed for the Italian airports of Milan Linate and Rome. 'Change + HP' was the all over theme of this corporate campaign. Arrow like shapes were the visuals. More than 1000 graphics were applied in all public spaces; on walls, check in counters, tables and escalators, elevators and pillars. In collaboration with Goodby Silverstein and Partners. As designer and co-founder with the team of NLXL.
Alphasense - Logo and visual identity design. 2016.
Alphasense, an innovative consumer product, is a responsive headband combining neuroscience technologies with eastern spirituality. The headband gives personalised feedback to the user to improve and deepen yoga meditation. It helps to solve sleeping problems and releases stress. Alphasense is developed in collaboration with the Harvard Center for Dynamic Biomarkers, will have its launch in the US and be available it the rest of the world after.
• Nike Europe
• Nike Greater China
• Hewlett Packard, San Francisco
• Schiphol Group, Amsterdam
• Pernod Ricard Asia
• Dutch national police force
• Dutch Ministry of Transport, Public Works and Water Management
• Dutch national customs
• Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Beijing
• SIVA - DeTao, Shanghai
• The University of Hong Kong
• University of Utrecht
• Royal Collage of Art, Music and Dance, The Hague
• Health[e]Foundation - Training for HIV-Aids treatment, Amsterdam
• The Guardian newspapers, London
• ThiemeMeulenhoff publishers, Utrecht
• NRC newspapers, Amsterdam
• ANWB - Dutch national motoring association, The Hague
• Gak Group - Dutch national social insurances, Amsterdam
• Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
• Africa Museum, Berg en Dal
• Freedom festival, The Hague
• Dutch Culture Centre - World Expo 2010, Shanghai
• JZ Music Festival, Shanghai
• Goodby, Silverstein & Partners, San Francisco
• Duval Guillaume corporate, Antwerp
• IDEO, Shanghai
And many others ...
• Branding & identity design at SIVA-DeTao - Shanghai - September 2014 - August 2018
• The Royal Academy of Art - The Hague - September, October, November 2008
• Academy of Fine Arts St. Joost - Breda - September, October, November 2004
• Academy of Fine Arts St. Joost - Breda - October, November, December 2003
• International Communication University China - Beijing, P.R. China - March 28, June 6, 2016
• Studio Wynants at SIVA-DeTao - Shanghai - P.R. China - May 14, 2015
• Tsinghua University - Beijing, P.R. China - November 25, 26, 27, 2013
• University at Buffalo, Design Centre - Buffalo, USA - July 16, 17, 18 2008
• Vilnius Academy of Fine Arts - Vilnius, Lithuania - May 12, 13, 14, 15 2008
• The Royal Academy of Art - The Hague, Netherlands - May 3, 2007
• KHIO - Oslo National Academy of the Arts - Oslo, Norway - April 4, 5, 6, 7 2006
• KHIO - Oslo National Academy of the Arts - Oslo, Norway - March 27, 2003
• Royal Academy of Art - The Hague, Netherlands - February 2, 2016
• Willem de Kooning Academy - Rotterdam, Netherlands - January 29, 2016
• Opening Netherlands consulate - Chongqing, P.R. China - December 3, 2014
• Donghua University - Shanghai, P.R. China - October 24, 2014
• Rockbund Art Museum - My Design Life - Shanghai, P.R. China - May 10, 2014
• China Art Museum, Shanghai, P.R. China - March 18, 2014
• Today Art Museum - Beijing, P.R. China - November 23, 2013
• Shanghai Design week - Shanghai, P.R. China - September 7, 2013
• Raffles Design Institute - Shanghai, P.R. China - August 5, 2013
• Dutch Design Workspace - Shanghai, P.R. China - May 13, 2013
• L 'Ecole de Design, Nantes Atlantique - Shanghai, P.R. China - October 18, 2012
• Donghua University - Shanghai, P.R. China - July 20, 2012
• Pecha Kucha night - Shanghai, P.R. China - April 21, 2012
• Bee or Wasp - Shanghai, P.R. China - March 18, 2011
• Raffles Design Institute - Shanghai, P.R. China - November 9, 2010
• Suzhou International Poster Summit - Suzhou, P.R. China - October 22, 2010
• Seoul Design Fair - Seoul, South Korea - September 24, 2010
• IDEO - Shanghai, P.R. China - September 9, 2010
• Hong Kong Heritage Museum - Hong Kong - April 17, 2010
• Jiangnan University, School of design - Wuxi, P.R. China - March 17, 2010
• DDD - Vilnius, Lithuania - October 12, 2008
• Typecon - Buffalo, USA - July 18, 2008
• Oslo National Academy of the Arts - Oslo, Norway - November 30, 2006
• Academy of Fine Arts St. Joost - Breda, Netherlands - March 2, 2005
About the Tiger
Creating visual brands
SparkyTiger is a twinkling and independent design studio based in Shanghai. Our expertise is creating visual brands to make organisations, products and services stand out and become memorable. From scratch for start-ups, adapting them in the process of change or preparing to go international. The studio is founded by Joost Roozekrans, a Dutch designer and creative director and Liza Lin a designer from China.
Network of specialists
SparkyTiger collaborates with an extensive network of specialists from China and around the world. Depending on the scope of the project and expertise needed we create the team required. SparkyTiger works for businesses, governments, educational institutions, media companies, services and cultural organisations. Variety is good for creativity.
Joost Roozekrans - founder & creative director
Joost is working 25 years in the design profession. He is living in Shanghai since early 2009, where he was working for four years as the creative director of Studio Dumbar China before starting SparkyTiger. Next to this Joost is part-time university lecturer branding & identity design in Shanghai.
Before moving to China he was co-founder, partner and designer of NLXL (2001 - 2008), a design studio for visual communication and interaction design and creative team leader at Studio Dumbar in the Netherlands. He lived in London for two years working both as a freelance designer and as the senior designer at 'The Guardian', responsible for the design of the online newspaper. In 1991 his first project at Studio Dumbar was designing the visual identity for the Dutch national police force.
Liza Lin - founder & designer
Liza is from Shanghai. She has been working as a designer of 15 years. Liza was trained as an interior designer and working for about eight years for international interior design firms in Shanghai, than changed over to graphic design working free lance and for the hospitality industry. She is involved as a designer and responsible for the operations and project management of the studio.